Digital and social media have radically transformed the way people communicate. It has become imperative for the next generation of communication professionals to master skills in authoring, designing, planning, presenting, and distributing compelling content over the new media.
The MA in Digital Communication & Social Media degree is a specialist graduate program for students who aspire to plan, design, implement and evaluate digital communication and social media strategies in private, public and non-profit settings. The program provides an integrated study of fundamental communication theory across media as well as practical skills in crafting and delivering content through digital and social platforms.
The main aims of the program are for students to develop:
* A systematic understanding of communication theory in traditional and new media.
* The ability to apply communication knowledge and understanding to a range of digital and social media platforms, taking into account the wider technological, ethical and legal aspects of the environment in which organizations operate.
* A critical awareness of current digital and social media issues, methodologies and solutions that affect communication practice in the field.
* A sufficient range and critical understanding of communication methods, skills and knowledge that will enable students to act independently as digital and social media professionals.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants should be able to:
* Demonstrate systematic knowledge and understanding of the theories, processes, techniques, and current role of communication in digital and social media.
* Formulate a comprehensive communication digital and social campaign for an organization.
* Determine and lead the development of sophisticated, effective web and social-based communications solutions.
* Act independently as communication consultants and implement recommended solutions.
* Generate original content for the web, mobile and social media.
* Monitor and evaluate performance in the web and social media context.
The program prepares graduates for career opportunities in all communication-related professions relating to, e-commerce, corporate communication, advertising, campaign design, ICT, etc. Completion of the degree also allows students who wish to pursue a higher academic degree in communication to continue their studies in their chosen graduate field of interest.
Career Services: ALBA Graduate Business School at the American College of Greece
DEREE graduate communication students and alumni benefit both from the ALBA Graduate Business School Services which include: career coaching, participation in career events and workshops, participation in the ALBA annual career forum, one-to-one career advice sessions, direct mail list for job posts and career advice. Also, DEREE graduate students receive further support from the DEREE Office of Career Services, which has placed thousands of DEREE graduates since 1976.
Students must successfully complete 10 graduate level courses, representing a total of 30 US credits as described below.
Required Communication Courses (9 credits):
* Media and Communication Theory
* Advanced Media Writing and Techniques
* Applied Communication Research Methods
Required Digital & Social Media Communication Courses (9 credits):
* Digital Media and Computer Mediated Communication
* Strategy, Planning & Design of Digital & Social Media Campaigns
* Production Lab I: Web Design and Development
Elective Courses(9 credits or 3 courses from the list):
* Digital Research Methods and Social Analytics
* Authoring and Narrative in Social Media
* Social Networks Behavior
* Production Lab II: Advanced Web Development with Content Management Systems
* Personal Branding Communication in Social Networks
* UX User Experience & Responsive Design
Capstone Project or Dissertation (3 credits):
* Capstone Project in Digital Communication & Social Media or
* Dissertation in Communication
Flexible Study & Course Duration
The program may be completed in one year (full-time) or up to three years (part-time). Classes run during weekdays, Mondays to Thursdays from 18:00-21:00. New students are admitted at the start of the Fall and Spring Terms.
The program is appropriate for graduates and practitioners from all disciplines, practitioners from across industries, educators, lawyers, entrepreneurs, consultants, and community/NGOs leaders alike who wish to extend their knowledge and skills by gaining a solid specialization in digital and social media communication:
* Recent college or university graduates who want to start a career in digital communication and wish to deepen their knowledge in the field.
* Career professionals who want to enhance their intellectual and professional growth and maximize their career potential.
Graduate School of Arts & Sciences | Financial Assistance
Since its founding in 1875, The American College of Greece (ACG) has provided assistance to students needing help in meeting their educational expenses, thereby enabling students with demonstrated ability and promise to access a quality education, regardless of their financial circumstances. Over 2.2 million in need- and merit-based scholarships and financial aid will be awarded in 2013-14.
The College has expanded scholarship and financial support programs to ensure the affordability of an ACG education particularly in these challenging economic times. Financing a college education can be a daunting prospect. The College is committed to aiding students and their families in learning about the resources available through the College's financial aid programs and to assisting students and their families in finding ways to meet their educational expenses.
The Financial Assistance Program at ACG provides various levels of financial assistance based on need and/or academic achievement. The governing philosophy of our program is grounded in our belief that lack of funds should never prevent academically talented students from receiving a quality education. Funding for financial assistance originates from the College's own resources and from the generous contributions of donors. We invite you to explore our website for detailed descriptions of our scholarship programs and information regarding our financial aid programs.
DEREE-ACG is accredited by the New England Association of School and Colleges, ensuring that the academic quality provided in our graduate programs is equivalent to that of top universities and colleges in the United States.