The University of Bridgeport is proud to be the first American institution of higher learning to offer a B.A. in Martial Arts Studies. While martial arts study at the university level has long been a part of academic life in Asia, UBs program is unique in that it combines a wide range of liberal arts courses with martial arts practica. The program, offered through the Universitys College of Public and International Affairs, explores four aspects of the martial arts:
It has long been argued that through study of the martial arts people develop a measurable sense of accomplishment and a mastery of mind over body, contributing to greater self-esteem. Through the teacher-student relationship the martial-arts student embarks on a voyage of self discovery and learns the importance of respect and regard for others.
"The University of Bridgeport has offered me an opportunity that no other school could. Every day I wake up knowing that I made the right decision in which university to attend. Every day I wake up knowing that I will do what I love."
~Chris ONeill (hear more from Chris )
"The University of Bridgeport has revolutionized the martial way in America."
"Despite training my whole life in Kickboxing, I have grown to respect other styles through the University of Bridgeports Martial Arts major. This program has broadened my horizons as a fighter and as a man."
The Program Learning Outcomes of the Martial Arts Studies Program are as follows:
1. Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills.
2. Students will demonstrate basic math and science skills.
3. Students will demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills.
4. Students will demonstrate competency in the history, theory and practice of at least one of the Martial Arts and a good working knowledge of at least one other.
5. Students will demonstrate a grasp of the various Martial Arts notion of self cultivation and be able to relate it to their own personal growth.
6. Students will demonstrate the practical leadership skills and intercultural literacy needed to assume entry level leadership positions in business, government, and in civil society.
7. Students will develop appreciation of diversity in the world and in intellectual areas such as but not limited to the humanities and the social sciences.
8. Students will show the desire and ability to pursue learning throughout life.
* Note for all College of Public and International Affairs majors, a portfolio is collected to track progress in programmatic outcomes. In martial arts practica, there is regular testing and monitoring of competencies as students go through each level of proficiency.
Martial Arts Studies Program
Practica (Choose from one of the following foundation):
Tae Kwon Do Track:
Japanese Martial Arts Track:
(Additional tracks to be offered soon)
Each university in the Unites States of America sets its own admission standards so there isn't the same criteria for all the students and the university can decide which applicants meet those standards. The fee for each application is between $35 to $100.
After the selections of the universities you want to attend, the best of all would be to contact each university for an application form and more admission information for the international students. Moreover, for a graduate or postgraduate program it's necessary to verify the admission requirements. Some programs require that you send your application directly to their department.
Admissions decisions are based on students's academic record and different test scores, such as TOEFL, the SAT or ACT (for undergraduate programs) and GRE or GMAT (for graduate programs). Admission decision is based on your academic results and motivation.
IELTS band : 6 TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
You can demonstrate proof of English Language competency by meeting any one of the criteria listed below:
1. A letter certifying completion of level 6 at the Universitys English Language Institute (ELI).
Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeports English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB).
2. A minimum TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT), or 61 (IBT) for undergraduates and a minimum score of 550 (PBT), 213 (CBT), or 80 (IBT) for graduates (post-graduates).
3. A minimum IELTS (Cambridge Testing) Band score of 6.0 for Undergraduates and a minimum Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates).
4. A transcript from an accredited American university indicating a grade of C or better in one semester of college English Composition.
5. Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above; or ACT English score of 19 or above.
6.An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) through level 112.
7.An official letter certifying completion of CSE (The Center for English Studies) through level 7.5.
8. A Michigan English Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 69 or above for undergraduates and score of 77 or above for graduates.
9. A Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) English achievement score of 500 or above.
10. A level of Advanced on the English Language Proficiency Test of the College Board.
11. An official O level or A level Certificate indicating a grade of C or better in English.
12. An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates.
13. A score of 4 or better on the English A Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
14. WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. Score of C or better on English Language exam.
15. A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 44 for undergraduates and a minimum PTE Academic score of 53 for graduates (post-graduates).
You must demonstrate English language competency in one of the ways listed above. If you dont demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may begin classes.
No work experience is required.
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.