The Bachelor of Arts degree is awarded in Mass Communication, with concentrations in Journalism, Communication Studies, International Communication, Advertising, Sports Communication, and Public Relations. The Program includes a variety of course offerings in New Media.
Hear from a student in the Mass Communications program
The Mass Communication Program offers students an interdisciplinary foundation in the basic theory and skills necessary to become media practitioners and more informed media consumers.
Students have the opportunity to pursue internships and independent projects that allow them to have real world experience in the mass media professions. Graduates of this program have gone on to a variety of careers in the media field, including those in advertising, corporate communication, public relations, journalism, and broadcasting. Students interested in graduate studies have also advanced to graduate schools across the country.The University of Bridgeport is recognized as one of the most International Universities in the United States. The Mass Communications program has benefited from the unique UB setting to create a concentration in International Communication. Professor Yanmin Yu has been the recipient of three Fulbrights and her academic area of specialization is Intercultural Communication. Students who choose this concentration may work in the future in the communications department of an international organization, a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with an international presence or with an international bank or a transnational corporation. Students in this concentration are encouraged to develop a working competency in at least one world language besides English and to choose from a wide array of courses in the International Program that will help students to develop an appreciation of the social, religious and cultural underpinnings of society.
Students may also wish to specialize in the study of a language, and the cultural underpinnings and institutions of governance in one of the following regions of the world: Latin America, Asia, Europe or the Middle East. Students may also choose to minor in a field such as International Political Economy and Diplomacy, International Business, Criminal Justice and Human Security, World Religions, or pursue a graduate certificate in Global Development and Peace.
The Mass Communication Program prepares students to be able to do the following:
* Note for all College of Public and International Affairs majors, a portfolio is collected to track progress in programmatic outcomes
Example Advertising program schedule:
Total Semester Hours 120
Students attaining the degree in Mass Communication must complete 36 hours of coursework in the Mass Communication area. All students must complete the 12-hour core requirements. In addition, students must complete 12 hours in one of the four concentrations.
In addition to the 12-hour core and 12-hour concentration, students are also required to complete an additional 12 hours of elective coursework in Mass Communication for a total of 36 hours.
(36 SEMESTER HOURS)
MASS COMMUNICATION CORE
Each university in the Unites States of America sets its own admission standards so there isn't the same criteria for all the students and the university can decide which applicants meet those standards. The fee for each application is between $35 to $100.
After the selections of the universities you want to attend, the best of all would be to contact each university for an application form and more admission information for the international students. Moreover, for a graduate or postgraduate program it's necessary to verify the admission requirements. Some programs require that you send your application directly to their department.
Admissions decisions are based on students's academic record and different test scores, such as TOEFL, the SAT or ACT (for undergraduate programs) and GRE or GMAT (for graduate programs). Admission decision is based on your academic results and motivation.
IELTS band : 6 TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
You can demonstrate proof of English Language competency by meeting any one of the criteria listed below:
1. A letter certifying completion of level 6 at the Universitys English Language Institute (ELI).
Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeports English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB).
2. A minimum TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT), or 61 (IBT) for undergraduates and a minimum score of 550 (PBT), 213 (CBT), or 80 (IBT) for graduates (post-graduates).
3. A minimum IELTS (Cambridge Testing) Band score of 6.0 for Undergraduates and a minimum Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates).
4. A transcript from an accredited American university indicating a grade of C or better in one semester of college English Composition.
5. Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above; or ACT English score of 19 or above.
6.An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) through level 112.
7.An official letter certifying completion of CSE (The Center for English Studies) through level 7.5.
8. A Michigan English Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 69 or above for undergraduates and score of 77 or above for graduates.
9. A Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) English achievement score of 500 or above.
10. A level of Advanced on the English Language Proficiency Test of the College Board.
11. An official O level or A level Certificate indicating a grade of C or better in English.
12. An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates.
13. A score of 4 or better on the English A Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
14. WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. Score of C or better on English Language exam.
15. A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 44 for undergraduates and a minimum PTE Academic score of 53 for graduates (post-graduates).
You must demonstrate English language competency in one of the ways listed above. If you dont demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may begin classes.
No work experience is required.
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.